Sunday, March 22, 2009

4-H Archery

I am a youth leader for the Counties 4-H archery project. The County has 85 kids in the archery program. It's grate to see the program growing last year there where 53 kids in the program, and for years ago there wasn't a program at all. Today was the first day of shooting. It was a grate time, even if I only had time to shoot 3 ends of arrows (that is 15 arrows, 5 arrows an end) at the end of the day. I spent the rest of the day coaching.

It was fun watching and helping everyone shoot. Everyone from people who has been shooting a bow all their life, to those who I helped shoot their first arrow. There was one kid that I helped shoot he had never shot before. He was so excited to pull that bow back for the first time. The magic of pulling back the string letting the arrow fly and hit the target.

O how I have forgot the magic of the arrows flight how it flies so gracefully thru the air to hit the target. That kid helped me remember the magic that I have forgotten, for so long it had it has become just putting the arrow on the target. I thank that kid for helping me remember the magic I have so long forgotten.

4 comments:

  1. My kids are in 4H, also. It's a wonderful service you're doing. And it sounds like you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post that really makes me think about having fun with my bow. I've been shooting since I was 6 years old, and I remember my first shot...missing the target completely and sticking the arrow in the side of my garage. I can also remember when it was a blast to just go out and shoot--hit or miss it was a great time. Thanks for taking the time to help our future archers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first shot with the bow went into the side of the garage too, glad to know Im not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coaching 4-H archery is a great way to get our young adults interested in the great outdoors and teach them the proper way to handle, shoot and be safe with their bows. Your to be commended for your time and efforts and knowledge of our sports. Remembering the past is just one of the joys of hunting and teaching with young adults. Isn't it great to remember all your hunts of yesteryears? Thanks again for being a mentor and a teacher to our young adults.

    ReplyDelete